Sooo many tests, which one(s) do I need? Such a critical question, since you don’t want to waste your time, energy, and money running tests that won’t impact your treatment plan or health. This is a major pet peeve of mine. I will not waste your resources and will only recommend running lab tests that will provide pertinent information. I will not run tests because the results would be interesting to see. I’m not looking for interesting. I’m looking for answers to your health issues from an objective source, the test.
Although I run standard laboratory tests such as urinalysis and blood work, often they just aren’t enough. Here you will find a description of my most commonly run Functional Medicine Tests, along with a list of other tests, that can be used to decode even the most complicated health issues. Let’s get to the root cause and get you back on your feet!
- This is an AMAZINGLY comprehensive stool analysis test that looks at the DNA of pathogens within the gut. The gene-sequencing technology offers unmatched insight into precisely what is living in your microbiome.
- The GI -MAP is not only able to identify pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and parasites, it also quantifies the amount that are present. This is especially helpful for understanding the impact the pathogens are having on your body and for monitoring progress on a re-test.
- On top of everything, this test also includes assessments of beneficial bacterial species and antibiotic resistance genes. Consequently, all of this very specific and quantitative testing provides information that would be impossible to arrive at any other way. Since the gut is tremendously influential in just about every aspect of your health, to me, this test is truly a powerhouse for facilitating healing. 2. DiagnosTechs: Hormone Testing
- This lab specializes in salivary testing for hormone balance. Don’t guess on your hormone levels! Objectively determining imbalances allows for customization of treatment plans. That means you get faster relief!
- Why test saliva? Hormones can either be bound to proteins in the blood or freely circulating. The free hormones, which can be measured through salivary testing, are considered to be the more biologically active components. Therefore, they are a more accurate reflection of the active hormone in your body and often correlate more with how you actually feel.
- My favorite tests from DiagnosTechs are the Expanded Female Hormone Profile, Post Menopause Panel, and the Adrenal Stress Index. 3. Cyrex Labs: Autoimmunity Testing
- Cyrex™ is a Clinical Immunology Laboratory Specializing in Functional Immunology and Autoimmunity. Cyrex™ offers multi-tissue antibody testing for the early detection and monitoring of today’s complex autoimmune conditions. Cyrex™ develops innovative arrays (panels) through continuous collaboration with leading experts in medical research and clinical practice.
- Examples of Tests: Alzheimer’s LINX™ – Alzheimer’s-Associated Immune Reactivity, Joint Autoimmune Reactivity Screen, Gluten-Associated Cross-Reactive Foods and Foods Sensitivity, etc 4. The ALCAT Test: Food Sensitivity Testing
- The Alcat Test detects sensitivities to foods. Food sensitivities differ from food allergies in that they are delayed and less acute. However, don’t underestimate their importance because they cause chronic inflammation, which is the root cause of basically all disease processes.
- Symptoms such as migraines, aching joints, fatigue, gastrointestinal, respiratory, skin, neurological, and numerous other disorders, have been linked to food sensitivity.
- The ALCAT Test is able to assess up to 450 foods, chemicals, medicinal herbs, and other substances. 5. Analytical Research Labs: Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis
- Hair, like all other body tissues, contains minerals that are deposited as the hair grows. The minerals remain as the hair continues to grow out, providing a safe and easy way to perform testing.
- The Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis evaluates the level of 20 minerals, as well as toxic metals, in a sample of hair. It provides an in-depth, non-invasive, inexpensive, and extremely accurate assessment of your metabolic rate, energy levels, nervous system regulation, stage of stress, and of course, mineral needs.
Other Functional Medicine Lab Tests Include:
- Organic Acids
- Heavy Metals/Toxic Elements
- Genetics (including methylation, pharmaceutical compatibility, etc)
- Nutritional/Vitamin Status